So today I am 36 weeks pregnant. (I'm huge aren't I?!) In one week, I'll be considered "term" and if I go into labor, it won't be premature.
I've been extremely fortunate to have an incredibly easy pregnancy... up to now.
At this time in my pregnancy, I can go on for ages about why I want Peanut out: acid reflux, discomfort, especially when I'm trying to sleep, frequent bathroom trips, tiring easily, not being able to take a full breath, stabbing pains. I could go on.
I realized last night that I really need to relish this time before he's here. Not only because the current peace won't last long, but also because carrying a child is one of the rewards of being a woman.
So I'm writing this to compile a list of reasons why I am glad to still be pregnant so hopefully I can look back on it and appreciate these last few weeks rather than consider them a "difficult time."
Reasons why I'm glad I'm still pregnant:
- After tomorrow I'm on maternity leave and I'll be able to enjoy it alone, doing the things that I want to do rather than answering to Peanut's every need.
- Even though getting kicked in the ribs doesn't feel nice, every movement he makes is magical.
- I still haven't registered that I'm going to be a parent soon and I don't think I'll have to go through that anxiety until he's here.
- Even in England (where the majority of people are very grumpy towards strangers), people smile at me as I'm walking by.
- I still get time with just Steve and myself to cuddle on the couch and watch movies or TV (except when the dog butts in)
- I may not be sleeping well, but at least I'm sleeping!
- Strangers are incredibly polite, letting me cross roads, holding doors open for me, asking if I need help, etc.
- The pain of labor is still a distant thought.
- I don't have to listen to a baby crying all the time, but I still feel like he's here and we're connected.
- Right now, I'm an endearing pregnant woman. Soon, I'll be a woman with a pram in the way (even though right now I feel like I'm the size of a pram!).
- I don't have to deal with people coming over to visit Peanut and me at inopportune times.
- I can still walk my dog alone without worrying about a baby.
- I'll get a great head start on Christmas gifts while I'm waiting for him to come.
- I'll get to spend time alone with my mom when she visits before Peanut arrives.
- I get all the attention and know full well that Peanut will get all the attention when he's here.
- I don't have to feel guilty for eating an extra cookie (or few) yet.
- It's perfectly acceptable for me to spend an entire day in my PJs.
- Steve has to do the weeding because I can't bend down.
Well, that's my list for now. I'm sure I'll add to it as and when. I really am fortunate to be in the position I'm in and I'm going to try every day to remember to appreciate the present rather than pining for the future.